Rock'd-n-Lock'd Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Dog found at Mt. Evans

Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:15 pm by wsm04rubi

Anyone heard about someone losing a dog at Mt. Evans? Here is info on a lost dog that was picked up there:

http://lostfoundpetswastate.com/2015/04/05/baby-bear-dog-found-in-mountains/

Comments: 2

February RnL meeting

Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:14 pm by Zip

Tuesday February 3rd at 7pm, at Ricardos restaurant in Factoria, unless someone comes up with another suggestion

Dues are up for 2015
Take a look at your calendars for this summer to discuss an out of state run this summer. Also for when and where'd you like to go?

Comments: 0

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:51 am by Zip

santa To ALL RnL members and their families...

...Additionally to ALL our friends and their familes santa

Comments: 0

Who runs a Detroit?

+5
white knuckler
rubicons4
MadMark
Zip
SUPAFLY
9 posters

Go down

Who runs a Detroit? Empty Who runs a Detroit?

Post  SUPAFLY Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:50 pm

My rear locker went boom, and an ARB is WAY too expensive. I'm looking at replacing with a Detroit. Opinions, suggestions, and experience?????????
SUPAFLY
SUPAFLY
Tire Kicker

Back to top Go down

Who runs a Detroit? Empty Re: Who runs a Detroit?

Post  Zip Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:24 am

I've ran a detroit in the past in the front & rear, absolutely no problems w/ driving or handling. An occasional pop & shake when I'd come up to a stop & made a turn, maybe some tire chirp on tight turns on pavement

I've been running spools lately though, still don't have any problems w/ those either...much cheaper & didn't notice any excessive tire wear

Zip
Zip
Secretary

Back to top Go down

Post  MadMark Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:36 am

I have run detroits for years and like them alot. There not much cheaper than an air locker. They have a tendency to push you around when accelerating and decelerating. If you want to go cheap, buy a spool. Buy a detroit and forget about it. Cool
MadMark
MadMark
Vice President

Back to top Go down

Post  rubicons4 Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:33 am

I had them in my old CJ5. handling is fine. You just had to be ready for the random twists and pops. Also, don't slam on your brakes while driving on the freeway if its wet. If it's bound up at all, spin spin spin!

rubicons4
Tire Kicker

Back to top Go down

Post  SUPAFLY Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:38 pm

I hear there is a new Yukon Grizzly that is similiar to the Detroit also. Options, options...........
SUPAFLY
SUPAFLY
Tire Kicker

Back to top Go down

Post  white knuckler Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:08 pm

Just bought a Detroit Locker for the rear Dana 60; I/Holmes will install in my Jeep soon......I run a Detroit in the Ford 8.8 currently. Besides the "pop and shake" like Zip reported...I LOVE Detroit Lockers--suppose to be "bomb proof".. Run an ARB in front 44 axle and find it can fail to engage....then the troubleshooting begins (headache)! (Ask Jessie about how fun ARB's are to fix... Laughing ) Thought about a spool and heard they handle interestingly in the snow!

Complete off road has a Detroit Locker for 44 $579 with free shipping (do charge a $10.95 "handling fee") but were the cheapest I could get the 60 for w/ free shipping + no tax.
See link (for 44):
http://completeoffroad.com/i-122790-detroit-locker-3-92-up-30-spline-det187s-16c.html

Or, Craigslist has used?? Good luck with it... Very Happy
white knuckler
white knuckler
Club Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Zip Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:14 pm

Justin, I'm not sure what you've broke w/ your locker, I'm not sure if the one you broke is a detroit? But, detroits are rebuildable, depending on what you broke. Contact (tractech) Scott Frary on the NWW BBS, he is, or was the rep & can either assist w/ diagnosis &/or parts, if what you have is a detroit.

I picked up my front detroit from a a guy on NWW for $250.00, it was a rebuild...I have a double clutched spicer powerlok & bearings for a D44 if you need something during the interim?
Zip
Zip
Secretary

Back to top Go down

Post  SUPAFLY Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:00 pm

My rear was a stock rubicon locker with limited slip. The problem is the helical gears for the limited slip are weak and are known to fail. I'm actually surprised at how long it lasted. You can take a front rubicon locker which doesn't have the limited slip, and put it in the rear to make it a lot stronger, but for the same price I can get a full time locker that is stronger than either of those. I'm working with John (Avanteone) to see what kind of deal he can get me on the Yukon. Also, David from Northridge 4X4 offered a killer deal on a detroit but its in Bremerton so I'm waiting to hear back from John before I do anything. Thanks for the replies!
SUPAFLY
SUPAFLY
Tire Kicker

Back to top Go down

Post  Zip Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:01 pm

SUPAFLY wrote:My rear was a stock rubicon locker with limited slip. The problem is the helical gears for the limited slip are weak and are known to fail. I'm actually surprised at how long it lasted. You can take a front rubicon locker which doesn't have the limited slip, and put it in the rear to make it a lot stronger, but for the same price I can get a full time locker that is stronger than either of those. I'm working with John (Avanteone) to see what kind of deal he can get me on the Yukon. Also, David from Northridge 4X4 offered a killer deal on a detroit but its in Bremerton so I'm waiting to hear back from John before I do anything. Thanks for the replies!

Yeah John is a good guy to get stuff through, stay on him though he gets distracted very easily Wink

Last edited by Zip on Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zip
Zip
Secretary

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottArne Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:07 pm

Northridge has free shipping on orders over $100.
ScottArne
ScottArne
Tire Kicker

Back to top Go down

Post  SUPAFLY Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:02 am

ScottArne wrote:Northridge has free shipping on orders over $100.

This is nice, except I've got to bring my entire housing to him so they can reset the ring and pinion. Looks like I'll be going this route with Northridge and have them install the Detroit.
SUPAFLY
SUPAFLY
Tire Kicker

Back to top Go down

Post  Homey Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:12 pm

[quote="SUPAFLY"]
ScottArne wrote:Northridge has free shipping on orders over $100.[/quot
This is nice, except I've got to bring my entire housing to him so they can reset the ring and pinion. Looks like I'll be going this route with Northridge and have them install the Detroit.
how do you the gears will have to be reset?? i'd try and set it up yourself first...if you cant get it right then take it to them..just a thought.
Homey
Homey
President

Back to top Go down

Post  Zip Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:27 pm

[quote="Homey"]
SUPAFLY wrote:
ScottArne wrote:Northridge has free shipping on orders over $100.[/quot

how do you the gears will have to be reset?? i'd try and set it up yourself first...if you cant get it right then take it to them..just a thought.

Homey's correct, I replaced my powerlock w/ a detroit and just had to adjust the shimming to get the correct backlash between the R&P. Actually the biggest complication for me was that the bearing ID between the powerlock & detroit were different...it's surprisenly easier than one thinks, just takes patience & effort due to redundancy of putting the 3rd member in & out to adjust the backlash & shims. Your not regearing it are you, just changing the 3rd member & reusing the existing R&P?

Zip
Zip
Secretary

Back to top Go down

Post  SUPAFLY Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:54 pm

I just got a good deal on a D35. The guy told me it would be strong enough to turn my 38's. Almost done putting it in the jeep. Who wants to go wheelin? Razz

JUST KIDDING!
SUPAFLY
SUPAFLY
Tire Kicker

Back to top Go down

Post  wsm04rubi Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:37 am

You had me going there for a minute Justin... lol! lol! lol!
wsm04rubi
wsm04rubi
Admin

https://rockdnlockd.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Zip Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:17 pm

SUPAFLY wrote:I just got a good deal on a D35. The guy told me it would be strong enough to turn my 38's. Almost done putting it in the jeep. Who wants to go wheelin? Razz JUST KIDDING!

ALRIGHT, expect to see you in Rimrock this next year Twisted Evil no reason not to now Rolling Eyes ...NOT KIDDING about Rimrock!

Last edited by Zip on Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zip
Zip
Secretary

Back to top Go down

Post  SUPAFLY Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:39 pm

Good eye Bill! Very Happy
SUPAFLY
SUPAFLY
Tire Kicker

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldskoolwheeler Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:00 am

More props to running detroits. Go them both in front and back and love the performance.
Oldskoolwheeler
Oldskoolwheeler
Tire Kicker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down