Rock'd-n-Lock'd Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Dog found at Mt. Evans

Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:15 pm by wsm04rubi

Anyone heard about someone losing a dog at Mt. Evans? Here is info on a lost dog that was picked up there:

http://lostfoundpetswastate.com/2015/04/05/baby-bear-dog-found-in-mountains/

Comments: 2

February RnL meeting

Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:14 pm by Zip

Tuesday February 3rd at 7pm, at Ricardos restaurant in Factoria, unless someone comes up with another suggestion

Dues are up for 2015
Take a look at your calendars for this summer to discuss an out of state run this summer. Also for when and where'd you like to go?

Comments: 0

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:51 am by Zip

santa To ALL RnL members and their families...

...Additionally to ALL our friends and their familes santa

Comments: 0

Yukon Axle Dana 30

3 posters

Go down

Yukon Axle Dana 30 Empty Yukon Axle Dana 30

Post  MadMark Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:18 pm

I'm putting chrome moly axles and outboard axle seals in a 97 TJ and I have a few questions
1) Is the ouside diameter of Yukon axles larger. (27 spline have not pulled apart to measure the differance)
2) Will the inner seal need replaced. (differant size)
3) The outboard tube seal is really tight on Yukon axle, is that normal.
I noticed that a number of you have installed the tube seal, any problems.
Thanks for any help.
MadMark
MadMark
Vice President

Back to top Go down

Yukon Axle Dana 30 Empty Re: Yukon Axle Dana 30

Post  SUPAFLY Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:06 pm

1-No
2-No
3-Yes

Question: Why are you going with Yukon axles?
SUPAFLY
SUPAFLY
Tire Kicker

Back to top Go down

Post  mumblewood Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:51 pm

I wouldnt go Youkon.

I went over to longfields Super Axles and tested (read broke)ALL major up grades including stock and this is what we got

Stub shaft's were only what we tested.

PRODUCT ............................................ FT.LB. TORQUE.... Deg. of TWIST

TJ Rubi Longfield front(inner race)...........................................6, 800.......75
TJ Rubi Superior front (shaft failure).........................5,800........40
TJ Rubi US Alloy front(shaft failure)............................................5 ,000........40
TJ Rubi Yukon front(ear failure)............................................. .4,100........50
TJ Rubi stock front (ear failure)...............................2,500...... ..10
TJ Rubi stock front (ear failure)...............................2,000...... ..10

This was a test on Rubicon shafts but they have the exact same stub shaft as the D30. I know longfield is working on a D30 CV shaft but if you cant wait then I'd go with the Superior's. They have 2 types of axles, the discovery series made in India and the evolution series made in the USA. We tested the evolution series because thats what I had.
mumblewood
mumblewood
Tire Kicker

Back to top Go down

Post  MadMark Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:38 am

I see that supafly is a man of few words. Very Happy The price on the Yukons were less money.Both were 4340 chrome moly. Is one just more expensive or better? I should of ask the question before I bought the shafts. If I look at the data supplied by mumblewood, My choice was not the best Sad
I looked at the longfields and was concerned about moving the weak link to ring and pinion.
Cost was a concern for lonfields(and not answering the phone)
I put a set of Alloy X joints in.
What is superior doing that makes thier axles better than the rest?(material,hardening, etc.)
The yukon broke at 4100 ft. lbs. but 50 degs. the others only made it to 40 degs.(except longfield)
Why only test the stubs, are they the weak link?
Thanks for the info.
MadMark
MadMark
Vice President

Back to top Go down

Post  SUPAFLY Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:18 am

The U-joint is the weak link, but it almost always takes out the stub shaft. Your Yukon shafts are a huge improvement over stock, but for some reason the other companys product is proven stronger. Just run them, and if you do break, you could always upgrade the outer stub shafts. Its a super easy install, and here is a great site for helpful tips about TJ's: http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp

This one in particular will walk you through the entire process with pics! http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/d30/axle-1.htm
SUPAFLY
SUPAFLY
Tire Kicker

Back to top Go down

Post  mumblewood Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:37 am

I like the Superior's because the machining is better quality and coming from a heat treater that does axle induction and heat treat(me) it is my belief that Superior has a better process. I also cant confirm this but I think they also use a better grade of material.
mumblewood
mumblewood
Tire Kicker

Back to top Go down

Post  MadMark Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:03 pm

Thanks for the info and links. I'll put it together and see what else I can break.
MadMark
MadMark
Vice President

Back to top Go down

Post  MadMark Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:11 am

The yukon axle diameter was .100 larger and splines were longer. Stock axle necked down at the end of the splines about .150(smallest area of the shaft). Yukon axle never smaller than the turned down area for the inner seal. Everything went together nicely, Thanks again for the help.
MadMark
MadMark
Vice President

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down