Rock'd-n-Lock'd Club Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Dog found at Mt. Evans

Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:15 pm by wsm04rubi

Anyone heard about someone losing a dog at Mt. Evans? Here is info on a lost dog that was picked up there:

http://lostfoundpetswastate.com/2015/04/05/baby-bear-dog-found-in-mountains/

Comments: 2

February RnL meeting

Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:14 pm by Zip

Tuesday February 3rd at 7pm, at Ricardos restaurant in Factoria, unless someone comes up with another suggestion

Dues are up for 2015
Take a look at your calendars for this summer to discuss an out of state run this summer. Also for when and where'd you like to go?

Comments: 0

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:51 am by Zip

santa To ALL RnL members and their families...

...Additionally to ALL our friends and their familes santa

Comments: 0

DEATH WOBBLE

4 posters

Go down

DEATH WOBBLE Empty DEATH WOBBLE

Post  MadMark Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:46 pm

MadMark wrote:For those of you that don't know I bought the Super Swampers(AKA DEATH WOBBLE DONUTS) from bill. As I was driving up to Evans creek (slightly fast) I hit a large pothole and experienced first hand what death wobble is all about. affraid As I slowed down to keep from launching off the side of road and to remove the sheep skin seat cover from my crack I had just one thought, Bill's Fault lol! Just because I haven't had the front end aligned, installed the steering shock or crawled under my jeep to look for loose fasteners, I still can only come to one conclusion; Bill's fault scratch Bill jinxed my jeep. You gotta love those Swampers Shocked
Right now I can not drive my jeep above 40mph without death wobble. Don't even have to hit a bump.
I found a few loose items under my jeep! Retorqued everthing. Track Bar had some play in the heim joint and bushing was slightly worn(replaced with Currie adjustable track bar) had frontend aligned, no improvement Shocked Noticed the pitman arm(4"drop pitman arm)had some movement. Tried to remove with 1/2" breaker bar,not a chance Lame Brought out the big dog, 3/4" 2' long ratchet, wasn't even thinking about moving. Evil or Very Mad Bigger dog, 3/4" 3' breaker bar and all the force I could muster with both feet firmly planted against the driver side tire. About busted a nut!(not the one on the steering box)NO MOVEMENT!! Air hammer for 30 seconds, nothing. Again, nothing. Air chisel for 1 min. and 3/4" breaker and it finally broke loose cheers Installed pitman arm puller, half a twist with ratchet falls on floor. confused Now the questions to all. New pitman arm, stock or 4" drop? The steering has felt loose since the moment I hit that bump and death wobble started. Before that not even a wiggle at 70mph. I'm thinking I need a new steering box, what do you think? DEATH WOBBLE 346271
MadMark
MadMark
Vice President

Back to top Go down

DEATH WOBBLE Empty Re: DEATH WOBBLE

Post  mumblewood Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:12 pm

Well if all your track bar and drag link are parallel to each other without the drop arm then dont use it, go stock. I have a drop arm on mine because thats what works.

If you need a new steering box then there is a certain year Dodge Durango box that is a much better box and is a direct bolt in unit. I cant remember what year but it was supposed to be but I also think it has to be one with a tow option or something like that. I'll try to find out.
mumblewood
mumblewood
Tire Kicker

Back to top Go down

Post  mumblewood Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:37 pm

OK I did a little looking around and all I can find is some guys are putting a durango box in but I cant find the years except that it will not work in an anything later than an 03(I think) because they went to a Mercedes box. Also you will have 1 bolt on the frame that will not line up.
mumblewood
mumblewood
Tire Kicker

Back to top Go down

Post  MadMark Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:54 pm

I wasn't having any perceptable problem with the 4" drop pitman arm but will pretty close to parallel with a stock pitman arm(2.5" stock)
I was thinking about a PSC steering box. I can't find anything else loose. Check this out, one guys opinion on DW.
http://www.jeepaholics.com/support/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=52170
MadMark
MadMark
Vice President

Back to top Go down

Post  SUPAFLY Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:55 am

I do have a drop pitman arm, because thats what works for my setup. You have to draw a line from mounting point to mounting point like the pic below. My trackbar is the red line, and the drag link is blue. As you can see, they are VERY close to being perfectly parallel.

DEATH WOBBLE Trackbar
SUPAFLY
SUPAFLY
Tire Kicker

Back to top Go down

Post  wsm04rubi Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:45 am

My track bar is dropped 2" by the Clayton bracket, and I'm still running the stock pitman arm. I'm probably going to install the drop arm that came with the track bar kit, but I'm not having any death wobble since getting rid of the JKS track bar with it's goofy tapered spacer that goes in the mounting hole. I do have a very slight tire shimmy under certain conditions (infrequent), but it does not get anywhere close to death wobble now.

The only thing I notice that might be the pitman arm is that my steering seems a bit over reactive. Not really bump steer, but like it reacts too quickly to steering wheel input.

Edit: fixed the brand above - it's Clayton, not Currie, but it has a Currie Johnny Joint in it...

Last edited by wsm04rubi on Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
wsm04rubi
wsm04rubi
Admin

https://rockdnlockd.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MadMark Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:36 am

Supafly nice picture and illustration. Thats about $10,00.00 worth of hardware under there. Cool When my jeep grows up it's going to look like that. Suspect Currie's making there own track bar with a 5/8" bolt and no tapered spacer.
MadMark
MadMark
Vice President

Back to top Go down

Post  MadMark Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:53 pm

The Death Wobble is gone Very Happy at least for now! I installed the new PSC steering box, test drove it to 55mph and no wobble. No steering shock and hitting all the bumps I could, still no wobble cheers
DEATH WOBBLE Steeri10DEATH WOBBLE Steeri11
I installed the steering shock and I wonder if the shock will contact the left steering arm under full compression. The shock crosses over the top of the arm. Has anyone had a problem with shock contact? The picture makes it look closer than it really is. The shock is about a 1" away from the arm.
MadMark
MadMark
Vice President

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum